H+E, together with its Russian subsidiary OOO H+E Rus, recently modernised a biological wastewater treatment plant for Knauf Petroboard AG in Russia.
Modernisation of the wastewater treatment plant at “Knauf Petroboard AG” was necessary to improve the quality of treated wastewater, therefore protecting fishing waters into which it discharges.
The client chose H+E for this contract for a number of reasons, including:
- Its many years of experience in treating this type of waste.
- The presence of its subsidiary OOO “H+E Rus”
- The proposed process concept for the renewal of the wastewater treatment plant.
- H+E’s ability to undertake the modernisation of the wastewater treatment plant.
- To guarantee the strict limit values for purified wastewater discharged into a fishing river.
All this was done at the same time as the client re-built a board manufacturing machine.
The Scope of Supply
The modernisation of this plant includes the following major changes:
- Install two new drum screens and two FLOCOMAT®.T clarifiers.
- Convert the two existing pre-clarifiers into a combination of BIOFIT®.H high-load and BIOFIT®.SC low-load biological treatment stages.
- Expand the ventilation station. This includes retrofitting the existing second-stage aeration tanks with a new AEROFIT®.V ventilation system.
- Install a disinfection plant pstream of the purified sanitary water discharge into the river.
These changes represent a compact solution, already widely tested in the paper industry on many occasions.
Furthermore H+E installed a further modernisation step, a so-called tertiary cleaning stage. It consists of two lines of a BIOFIT®.HAC floating bed with powdered activated carbon dosing system and a FLOCOPAC® high-performance contact sludge inclined-plate clarifier. It is installed upstream of the UV disinfection and, as a result was an important step in achieving the required low discharge values.
As a result, integrating already existing components of the plant also reduced the investment cost; another advantage.